wondering...about the wonders of this wonderfull...world

wondering...about the wonders of this wonderfull...world
foto x arnaldo @MMXIproject
A couple of summers ago, coming home from class, I took the subway with a friend and I told her I was trying to start a blog... then I also told her how time consuming and addicting it had become, and that I was wondering if it was something worth doing... she laughed and asked me to let her know when I was done and give her the"link" so she could read it. Then she left and I kept thinking...why? why should I do this ?

Technology has taken us to a new level and we are now, able to "publish ourselves"! PUBLISH OURSELVES however we want to; if you want to be yourself, transparent and out in the open, or even if you want to pretend to be someone else... YOU CAN! Now you can blog and share your thoughts and experiences with people without having them "altered" by the editors, or "chosen" because of how cool or marketable they are...

This space is for us to share; zaidibirindilindilandia-my own little world, my ingenious- and your thoughts!

welcome, and thank you!



Creative Commons License

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Draping... my new adventures?





Ciao a tutti!(practicing my italian here!)
 
(at Baldovinetti-Draping Lab...Jessica Velez and I...partners in crime)
Draping is one of my favorite stages of the design process... sometimes by just playing around with the fabric I can come up with the most unimaginable ideas. By listening to the fabric, letting it guide me, show me the way... I pin, touch, feel... the way into a new design.

I can't sketch what I will drape-I feel as if in some way-that sketch will limit me and I won't  let my imagination run.. or the fabric surprise me .

This semester we have only one draping class a week, and it runs from 8:30 AM until 2:30 p.m.. As much as I love this class, it is so exhausting and mentally/emotionally draining. In those hours we have to take the lesson, get an idea, develop the idea, drape the piece, and construct it. It is a lot of work-especially when i am used to coming to the lab in the after hours and taking my sweet time to play around. Now.. its more of a challenge-not necessarily more fun-but great training. it is getting better, I am getting used to it! My professor this year is Therese Schoenholzer-she is amazing and supposedly a world expert in lace!

I never take pictures of me working or me with my work-but here are some that my classmates took.

No comments:

Post a Comment