wondering...about the wonders of this wonderfull...world

wondering...about the wonders of this wonderfull...world
foto x arnaldo @MMXIproject
A couple of summers ago, coming home from class, I took the subway with a friend and I told her I was trying to start a blog... then I also told her how time consuming and addicting it had become, and that I was wondering if it was something worth doing... she laughed and asked me to let her know when I was done and give her the"link" so she could read it. Then she left and I kept thinking...why? why should I do this ?

Technology has taken us to a new level and we are now, able to "publish ourselves"! PUBLISH OURSELVES however we want to; if you want to be yourself, transparent and out in the open, or even if you want to pretend to be someone else... YOU CAN! Now you can blog and share your thoughts and experiences with people without having them "altered" by the editors, or "chosen" because of how cool or marketable they are...

This space is for us to share; zaidibirindilindilandia-my own little world, my ingenious- and your thoughts!

welcome, and thank you!



Creative Commons License

Sunday, February 6, 2011

bubble-ING away!

happy saturday.feliz sabado. buon sabato....
 (beh, ormai è domenica!!!)

today I woke up at the crack of dawn for a meeting and brunch at greydog
- YUMmmy (french toast w fruit, eggs over easy+ homefries)-
 and then
headed to New Jersey to the Silk-City warehouse/outlet sale, which takes place every first saturday of the month... ONLY that they were not there (perhaps due to sucky weather, but they could've at least put a sign up on the door)...
dissapointed, we came back to NYC, and to FIT's knitting lab- where I decided to test my thicker yarns on the 3gg brother machine...
 I EMBARKED ON A BUBBLE-Y adventure. The results were really cool...

below: some pics of the swatches I've developed so far.
I've been playing with "bubble" size, placement, shape, technique and YARN CONTENT.

my conclusions for the day:
  1. will need to use some wool to help the cotton keep its shape
  2. there are not many fine gauge sustainable  yarns
  3. might need to knit each bubble individually - to individually dye them, to indivdually place them on a form, to FORM- a conglomerate of magic moss-y bubbles!
  4. this is going to be a lot of work and a "couture-ish" adventure, but I'm really enjoying it and willing to give it a go go!



bubble swatches togetha'


the 1st bubble ever- I like the idea of making indiv. ones         


this is probably the winner- merino wool +100% cotton
i like the juxtaposition/conglomeration, and irregularity!


              holding needles on "E", knit just one part                                                              this one is w shortrowing-like socks
Lion Brand Recycled Cotton- from Tshirts




 see how they protrude!




 here I added some merino wool- it started to have a better effect! I also combined 2 techniques


  this was the first swatch I made once I figured out the technique- but I was still using the 100%cotton yarn + 6gg brother machine
 the shapes were good, but they didnt stay "poofy".












No comments:

Post a Comment