wondering...about the wonders of this wonderfull...world

wondering...about the wonders of this wonderfull...world
foto x arnaldo @MMXIproject
A couple of summers ago, coming home from class, I took the subway with a friend and I told her I was trying to start a blog... then I also told her how time consuming and addicting it had become, and that I was wondering if it was something worth doing... she laughed and asked me to let her know when I was done and give her the"link" so she could read it. Then she left and I kept thinking...why? why should I do this ?

Technology has taken us to a new level and we are now, able to "publish ourselves"! PUBLISH OURSELVES however we want to; if you want to be yourself, transparent and out in the open, or even if you want to pretend to be someone else... YOU CAN! Now you can blog and share your thoughts and experiences with people without having them "altered" by the editors, or "chosen" because of how cool or marketable they are...

This space is for us to share; zaidibirindilindilandia-my own little world, my ingenious- and your thoughts!

welcome, and thank you!



Creative Commons License

Sunday, July 6, 2008

fusioning. pre-show interwiew with Jimmy

(backstage at "the TRESSEMME" hair salon room")



Well, I am
Zaida Adriana Goveo Balmaseda (yeah, all that!) and I participated in the Fusion Fashion Show Design Competition between FIT and Parsons on 2008.
I just thought I'd share my experience with you because it was AMAZING! It was a LOT of hard work and hours of dedication, but being passionate about it made it all so much fun.

This is my pre-show interview with JIMMY(the show organizer):

School and Year:

Fashion Institute of Technology! Second Semester, freshman

Hometown:
San Juan, Puerto Rico

Age
: 18


What is fashion to you?
Fashion is art, wearable art. Fashion to me has a special significance-Its what allows me to create pieces that can make other people feel like I felt when my mom dressed me up as a princess. Sometimes the way you dress expresses a mood. It’s the expressive creation of the designer, a shout of intellect! A dress is a decoration, and a ploy to gracious seduction, a tease towards creative talent. It is ART, a madness that illuminates the significance of being a lady. It is a study and a trace of history; it’s a celebration of family heirlooms and traditions. Fashion is part of Culture; it is part of you and me!

Describe your collection:

My collection is called zephyr! It is a light, gentle wind... its origin comes from a personification of Greek God of the west wind zephuros...I was inspired by the WIND.
The wind that dances around us has a little bit of everything, and everyone, and the Elements of nature inspirit me every day. There is a lovely song called “colors of the wind” by Stephen Shwarts that talks about how we should treasure, love and respect the world around us and embrace that we are one with it.


“… I know every rock and tree and creature

Has a life, has a spirit, has a name

-And we are all connected to each other
In a circle, in a hoop that never ends

-For whether we are white or copper skinned
We need to sing with all the voices of the mountains
We need to paint with all the colors of the wind


-Come roll in all the riches all around you

And for once, never wonder what they're worth…

-You can own the Earth and still

All you'll own is Earth until

You can paint with all the colors of the wind”


Every dress has incredible luminosity; giving us a sense of enchantment with multicolored hand dyed silk satin bodices, while Nude, flowing, weightless skirts celebrate different skin tones. I tried to experiment with shapes and volume to create ethereal, organic and delicate (almost couture, one of a kind-pieces) that have a personality of their own, just like we all do.

What about Fusion are you most excited about?

Everything, everything absolutely everything! I am excited because I’ve been making new friends that share this fascination (and that are passionate enough to spend their whole winter break SEWING), seeing how your vision comes together and you create amazing works of art, THE CHALLENGE…and of course… the moment of truth; when you FINALLY see all your models walking on the runway. WHOA! I am so happy that we get to expose what we have without boundaries, without labels… being genuine, ourselves, wholly!
....


Watch out for more fusion posts... cause' they will be here!

No comments:

Post a Comment