wondering...about the wonders of this wonderfull...world

wondering...about the wonders of this wonderfull...world
foto x arnaldo @MMXIproject
A couple of summers ago, coming home from class, I took the subway with a friend and I told her I was trying to start a blog... then I also told her how time consuming and addicting it had become, and that I was wondering if it was something worth doing... she laughed and asked me to let her know when I was done and give her the"link" so she could read it. Then she left and I kept thinking...why? why should I do this ?

Technology has taken us to a new level and we are now, able to "publish ourselves"! PUBLISH OURSELVES however we want to; if you want to be yourself, transparent and out in the open, or even if you want to pretend to be someone else... YOU CAN! Now you can blog and share your thoughts and experiences with people without having them "altered" by the editors, or "chosen" because of how cool or marketable they are...

This space is for us to share; zaidibirindilindilandia-my own little world, my ingenious- and your thoughts!

welcome, and thank you!



Creative Commons License

Sunday, January 30, 2011

study-ing!

happy sunday everyone...
yes- school has not started- thats why I'm actively blogging.. hopefully I'll be able to keep it up throughout this semester because I'm sure I'll have a lot of interesting experiences and would like to share them with you!

SO- I've officially started my senior INTERNSHIP - at STUDY NY (www.4equalsides.com) with Tara St. James!
LIFE is full of casualties and I found her through them. I got an email from the TEXTILE ARTS CENTER's blog which I follow telling me about the launch of the AWAMAKI LAB pop up store!
Awamaki Lab is "a four-month fashion design residency that gives young designers the opportunity to develop a capsule collection in partnership with Awamaki and its weavers' association. The goal of Awamaki Lab is to create value-added channels of growth for the Awamaki Weaving Project, provide economic opportunities to women in the district of Ollantaytambo, Peru, and demonstrate the innovative potential of traditional weavings" *
(*from awamaki lab blog)
It sounded so cool and I immediately RSVP'd... the next day I got an email from one of my friend's roomates telling me about a possibility of interning at STUDY (i had mentioned to my friend about my frustration finding an internship, and she offered to talk to her roomate who was working with a sustainable design company)... and then I found out that (the roomate) was interning with Tara/STUDY, who was the mentor for the AWAMAKILAB project... we decided to meet for an interview and now- IM INTERNING WITH HER- and really excited to learn EVERYTHING about sustainable design...!

In these past years my career goals have changed incredibly,I'm embarking on this new "journey" because I was really unsatisfied and almost disgusted with what I saw my future career would be if I didn't change paths (if I followed the "herd") because I no longer agree with, or aspire to be part of the mainstream fashion industry.

There are so many things that we can do as designers- after all- "fashion" is something we can't ignore and that most of us are participants of... so why not try to USE ITS POWER to create POSITIVE CHANGE... perhaps by "thinking and working as modern day anthropologists"* who now consider every aspect of how their design is made, used/interpreted by the wearer, mantained and even disposed of (end of life).
*from Berlin Fashion Week A/W 2011 Report x ecco*ecco

I'm trying to focus on learning from unconventional companies that are ethically responsible and concerned about sustainability, fair trade, etc or are at least moving in that direction. ITS ALL NEW TO ME, and I'm starting from scratch- BUT BELIEVE ME- I am passionate and I am STUDY-ing!

check these out!
  1. ABIGAIL DOAN at ecco*ecco: http://eccoeco.blogspot.com/2011/01/berlin-fashion-week-aw-2011-report.html
  2. STUDY NY @ www.4equalsides.com
  3. BODKIN @ www.bodkinus.com
  4. YEOHLEE @ www.yeohlee.com/
  5. AURALIS @ www.auralistudio.com/ (I used to intern here and he is a fellow puertorrican, making us proud)
  6. Geoffrey B. Small @ http://www.geoffreybsmall.net/
  7. AWAMAKI LAB @ http://www.awamaki.org/awamakilab
  8. ECO-FASHION x Sass Brown (former professor and current "guidance counselor") @ http://www.ecofashiontalk.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment